Topic: Teacher Training and Student Assessment: At Odds?"
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jun 18, 2013 3:31 PM

Alain Schremmer

Re: Teacher Training and Student Assessment: At Odds?"

On Jun 18, 2013, at 12:53 PM, Domenico Rosa wrote:

> Alain, Your type of multiple-choice questions are far, far superior
> to the type used by the testing-racket crowd.

But, as I wrote, this is still a least evil because, there is no way
for the students to learn the second phase in doing any kind of
mathematics, namely the "writing up" phase as opposed to the first,
"scribbling around", phase.

By the way:
--- "Random picking" does not give a student much more than about 30%
--- More generally, even "intelligent picking" does not seem to help.
--- Speaking of grade inflation, out of an initial 36 students, I
might get about 15 W, 8 to 10 F, a couple of D, a couple of C and 4 to
8 B and A.

Flattered regards
--schremmer