Topic: Matheology § 291
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jun 19, 2013 5:29 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology � 291

In article <7b5bd610-27dc-435c-81ca-ef7b7b7b2654@googlegroups.com>,
FredJeffries <FredJeffries@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:02:11 PM UTC-7, muec...@rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 18 June 2013 15:23:26 UTC+2, FredJeffries wrote:
> >

> > > Perhaps that is nothing of value to an ivory tower type, but to those of
> > > us who actually work for a living, knowing the right tool to use at the
> > > right time is extremely valuable.

> > No. Whatever tool you use, you cannot well-order the reals. Therefore your
> > counterfactual tool is not valuable the least.
> >

> Obviously your tool of choice is arrogant prejudiced ignorance.

I was under the impression that, at least with versions of the axiom of
choice, and thus with some versions of C in ZFC,ANY set could be, at
least theoretically, well-ordered, even if no actual method for some
specific sets were known.