Topic: Geometry #24
Replies: 25   Last Post: Jun 20, 2013 6:32 PM

Kathy

Re: Geometry #24
att1.html (3.6 K)

Yes - equation of a circle has been hit very heavy in every regents. Fortunately we've hit it heavy in our curriculum right from the start. I've always told our students if they know their circles and they know parallel and perpendicular lines they have a good start toward a passing grade. Our teachers didn't finish grading today so I don't know how things went. That said, my feeling is that they are really stretching on both Geometry and Algebra 2/Trig to come up with different questions and our students are suffering for it. I mean literally suffering! When you have to wrap your head around question after question it's exhausting and more than we should be asking bright young minds to do! On a day to day basis I ask them to stretch their minds and think outside the box. But on the regents they should be able to show what they can do without all the tricks.
----- Original Message -----
From: StGOLD2112@aol.com
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: Geometry #24

It would have been nice if the answer choices had a similarity symbol after each answer choice. I think most students equate AA, SAS, SSS, ASA with AA = AA, SAS = SAS, SSS = SSS, ASA = ASA (I'm using equals to represent congruent). The first answer makes sense, but choices 2 and 3 do not and therefore should be written as SAS~ or SSS~.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with the question, but I doubt most of our students will answer it correctly as SAS~ and SSS~ appear infrequently in our study of similarity.

But then again, the question is consistent with most of the exam (Read #38) where one minute concept that is given fairly little weight in the grand scheme of the curriculum appears on a high stakes exam. I guess it's my own fault, but median, the division postulate and overlapping triangles are not high on my list of priorities when I spend month after month teaching every possible proof that's ever been in existence.

Good thing I emphasized the need to be an expert in the equation of a circle though.

Steve Goldman
Half Hollow Hills HS East
Dix Hills, NY