Topic: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Replies: 67   Last Post: Jun 28, 2013 11:06 PM

kirby urner

Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
att1.html (2.4 K)

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu>wrote:

> Perhaps I'm not following people carefully enough but I had the idea that
> you were dissing the importance of competence (read automaticity) in
> arithmetic through ordinary fractions, ratio and proportion, and
> percentages starting from early grade timed fluency with elementary number
> facts. I consider it to be the most important part of the mathematics
> educational program, particularly for low socioeconomic and weak education
> background community students (as was I). Far too many pileup deficits
> from which they can never recover whereas those with early success (that is
> usually learned through school as opposed to reading readiness which has
> huge family/community reinforcement prior to Day 1 of kindergarten) they
> can be well on their way to upward mobility through education. What a deal.
>
> Wayne

Part of the anthropology here is kids prefer those timed tests of
automaticity be conducted in the privacy of their own bedrooms where they
run Mathblasters or the like.

Smartphones have their flash cards for math facts.

I use them (smartphone flashcards) myself to close the time gap between
seeing a Hiragana or Katakana character and matching it with a Latinate
phonetic letter-pair (these "Kana" are consonant-vowels mostly). Su Shi.
I stand there at bus stops, flashing away. No special building required.

The old idea of a teacher calling on a Buckwheat impersonator (see 'Mr.
Lonely' by Harmony Korine) whom the kids then laugh at (he got 3 x 7 wrong
hyuk what a dork), because he hasn't been "learning"... that's a fading
nostalgic dream in the minds of the farm families who lived them. Andy
Griffith Show stuff.

Want GED math competence? Stay home, boot up, tune in.

Want to get ridiculed, teased, maybe beaten by uncivil USA kids, legendary
the world over? Go to "school".

Kirby

Date Subject Author
6/17/13
Read Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Joe Niederberger
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Domenico Rosa
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times > K-calculus
Clyde Greeno
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Joe Niederberger
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Dave L. Renfro
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Richard Strausz
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
W. Stephen Wilson
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/22/13
[...]
6/23/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/25/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/26/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/26/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/28/13