Topic: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Replies: 67   Last Post: Jun 28, 2013 11:06 PM

W. Stephen Wilson

Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times

Wayne,

Thanks for the heads up. I use some of Keith's stuff quite a lot, but we obviously run in different circles now as he doesn't seem to meet anyone who knows the same things my circle knows.

It is precisely because of people like Keith that our article had to be written. I suspect Keith hasn't had to teach engineering students their math lately or he would have a rather different take on the article.

Like it or not, the standard algorithms are the only deep theorems you can teach in elementary school, and, properly done, they do help prepare students for college math. Learning hard stuff is the best preparation for learning hard stuff anyway.

It would be fun to rebut the rebuttal line by line, but I've just had my vacation for the summer (Dubai, Bangkok, Cambodia, Vietnam and China) and no longer have the luxury of time.

Steve

Good reading:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/08/29/look-east-young-man/

It reinforces what I see here at JHU (and what I saw in my kid's school).

On Jun 21, 2013, at 1:45 AM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:

> I think Devlin's pretending to not be arguing his usual fuzzy side of the math wars (hence his popularity with fuzzy educators everywhere) is representative of the fact that - in spite of his strong credentials and huge megaphone from Stanford - he has nothing to do with the Department of Mathematics at Stanford, home of the first-in-the-nation California Mathematics Content Standards, now dead because of our state's early acceptance of the CCSS. This YouTube documentation of a panel discussion at a (top-notch) regional school district sort of summarizes the return (after a few baby steps toward sanity) to the last century of failed reform (see Diane Ravitch's superb book before she converted back to her progressive roots). Amazingly, one of the panelists, Bill Evers of the Hoover Institution at Stanford, is not trained in mathematics but has closer ties to the genuine mathematics standards folks in that department then does Devlin.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-TDpxh0OYM&feature=em-upload_owner
>
> One of the pushers talked about, "The 4 C?s of 21st Century Skills as they are commonly called: Collaboration, Communication, Creativity, and Critical Thinking." I was ignorant of that current jargon but googling brought up 37K hits. Whether Bill was already familiar with the term, I don't know but his rebuttal was golden. I'd call it the 4 F's: Fuzzy, Fuzzy, Fuzzy, and Fuzzy.
>
> Wayne
>
> At 01:30 AM 6/20/2013, Richard Strausz wrote:

>> I thought that Devlin's reply (see link below) made good use of bold text to help this reader make sense of the original article.
>>
>> http://profkeithdevlin.org/2013/06/19/faulty-logic-in-the-new-math-wars-skirmish/
>>
>> Richard

Date Subject Author
6/17/13
Read Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Joe Niederberger
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Domenico Rosa
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times > K-calculus
Clyde Greeno
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Joe Niederberger
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Dave L. Renfro
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Richard Strausz
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
W. Stephen Wilson
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/22/13
[...]
6/23/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/25/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/26/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/26/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/28/13