Topic: Matheology § 288
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jun 22, 2013 12:23 AM

fom

Re: Matheology § 288

On 6/21/2013 10:00 PM, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
> "fom" <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote in message

<snip>

>> I do not disagree that the naming of numbers
>> has a correspondence with the count of names.
>> But, because of Cantor's insights and investigations
>> of infinity, ordinality and cardinality are not
>> taken to be the same thing.

> I think that's beside the point. Anyway, those results do not
> (necessarily) hold in a non-standard setting.

Well, when Hilbert shifts from formal axiomatics
to finitistic proof theory, he begins with a
"strokes-as-numerals" intuition of natural number

He then goes on to make the general argument for
cardinalities based upon the symmetric groups.

What non-standard setting conflates ordinality
and cardinality?