Topic: solve help
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jun 24, 2013 10:59 AM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: solve help

On 6/22/2013 12:54 PM, ZACHARY HULL wrote:

> (script)
> syms t
> t = linspace(0,pi,200);
> ft = exp(sin(t));
> tf = solve(ft,t)
>
> result =
> Error using message
> In 'symbolic:solve:errmsg1', parameter {1} must be a scalar.
> Error in solve>processString (line 354)

> Any help you all can provide would be appreciated! Thanks!

I have no idea at all really what is it you are trying to do,

In what you wrote, ft is just a list of numbers. So you are
asking solve to do this solve(list_of_numbers==0,t).

But if you are trying to find solution to exp(x)==0
then there is no solution.

What value of 't' you think will make exp(sin(t)) zero?
sin(t) is between -1 and +1. So, just plot exp() between these
2 values and you'll see it is not zero.

You have to go to -infinity and beyond to have any luck of
making exp() in the limit go to zero.

--Nasser