Topic: textscan with precision random NaN
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jun 24, 2013 12:01 PM

dpb

Re: textscan with precision random NaN

On 6/24/2013 10:45 AM, Nathaniel wrote:

> fid = fopen(DataPath{1});
> data = textscan(fid, '%d64 %s %*s %*f %*f %*f %*f %*f %.15f %.15f',
> 'Delimiter', '\t', 'headerlines', 1);
> structData= cell2struct(data, {'Points', 'Person', 'Allocation','SD'}, 2);
>
> Before adding in the .15 I would be reading in 2880ish lines but after
> adding it in I'm reading in 3400ish - the difference being made up of NaN
> Input data is an edr.txt file

What's the point and are the input data actually in that format? I'm
guessing not based on your description of the symptoms. On input there
should be no need for the precision; the %f is sufficient to handle any
legitimately-formed floating point value on its own. That said _IF_
(the proverbial "big if") the data are formatted that way, then it
should work (and I think, theoretically it should anyways as explicit
decimal points and exponents, etc., should override the format
specification, but why make it more difficult than needs be?

Again, as Nasser points out, it's crystal-orb time w/o any data to look at.