Topic: random time-series displacement data from PSD and back again
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jun 24, 2013 9:01 PM

Derek Goring

Re: random time-series displacement data from PSD and back again

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:31:16 AM UTC+12, Jim Schwendeman wrote:
> TideMan,
>

> Maybe the better question is this:
>

> When I create my time-series data, how do I know that it's scaled correctly? When I replicated the complex conjugate prior to the ifft, I doubled the number of points, so I guess I'm not entirely sure.
>

> I believe I am correct, because if I do the sum(abs(y).^2), that is equal to the mean g^2/Hz from the original PSD, which leads me to believe I've satisfied Parseval's theorem.
>

> Thoughts?

I can't follow your code. You seem to define PSD as ones, then use it as if it had data. I gave up.............

This is Parseval's Law:
sum(PSD)*df must equal var(y)
The area under the spectrum must be the variance of the time signal.
In your case, I think df is 1.