Topic: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Replies: 67   Last Post: Jun 28, 2013 11:06 PM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times

Once again, I try to trust the advice of experts. In this case, Reid
Lyon, reading research expert and then Assistant Secretary of
Education under Secretary of Education Roderick Paige:

"You know, if there was any piece of legislation that I could
pass, it would be to blow up the colleges of education."

November 18, 2002 - Forum on Rigorous Evidence - Transcript, P. 84-85
The Key to Progress in Education?
Lessons from Medicine, Welfare and Other Fields

Wayne

At 03:20 AM 6/25/2013, GS Chandy wrote:
>Responding to posts of mine, Professor Wayne Bishop responded
>
>i) Jun 24, 2013 8:59 PM -
>http://mathforum.org/kb/servlet/JiveServlet/download/206-2576677-9144760-838202/att1.html
>and
>
>ii) Jun 24, 2013 9:15 PM -
>http://mathforum.org/kb/servlet/JiveServlet/download/206-2576677-9144762-838203/att1.html
>.
>
>I reiterate my claim that, whatever may be the deficiencies of the
>'educational establishment' (ie. the 'Educational Mafia'?) and/or
>the 'Schools of Education', there is no benefit at all that can be
>derived for the educational system by making demands to:
>
>- -- "Put the Educational Mafia in jail!"; or to
>- -- "Blow up the Schools of Education!"
>(even if one or the other demand were satirically intended).
>
>Such demands may be appropriate in a Stalinist or Hitlerian regime.
>
>In any nominally democratic regime, such dmeands will be impossible
>to put into practice (if intended seriously). If intended
>satirically, such demands would tend only to close the minds of
>important stakeholders in the educational system to the real need
>for changes in the system. Such demands reveal a fundamentally
>autocratic mindset on the part of the persons making them.
>
>What's appropriate would be to seek to discover the real
>deficiencies and weaknesses of the educational system (including
>those of the 'Schools of Education') and then to find out practical
>ways to overcome them - by using all good ideas available from the
>stakeholders in the respective systems.
>
>Practical means to gather ideas and then to 'integrate' them to
>develop effective Action Planning to accomplish a desirable
>'Mission' are described in the attachments to my post heading the
>thread "Democracy: how to achieve it" - see
>http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7936232 . These
>tools enable people to convince themselves that certain ideas may,
>at a particular time or place, be infeasible or unviable.
>
>The approach described is readily usable by people who believe that
>learning by students (of math, or of anything else) is something
>that the students should be ENCOURAGED to do rather than be PUSHED
>into doing. PUSHING children into learning math (or anything else)
>may be the right thing to do in Stalinist regimes.
>
>GSC
>
>------- End of Forwarded Message

------- End of Forwarded Message

Date Subject Author
6/17/13
Read Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Joe Niederberger
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/17/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Domenico Rosa
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times > K-calculus
Clyde Greeno
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Joe Niederberger
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/18/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/19/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Dave L. Renfro
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/20/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Richard Strausz
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
W. Stephen Wilson
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Robert Hansen
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/22/13
[...]
6/23/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
kirby urner
6/21/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/24/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/25/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/26/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
Wayne Bishop
6/26/13
Read Re: Math Wars Philosophizing in the NY Times
GS Chandy
6/28/13