Topic: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Replies: 98   Last Post: Jun 30, 2013 3:22 PM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis

On Friday, June 28, 2013 1:34:49 AM UTC-7, muec...@rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> On Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:54:40 PM UTC-7, muec...@rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
>

>> IF: An infinite collection of finite decimal sequences, when written in one line, makes an actually infinite collection,
>
>> THEN: an infinite collection of finite decimal sequences written in different lines does the same.
>
>> (Unioning over subsets cannot not extend a set.)
>
> There is no extension there, just consolidation.

Every F(n) is in some line. More cannot be consolidated.

> Just like U( { FISON } ) = U( { j | 0 <= j <= n, n e N }) adds nothing new, it just puts them all in the single set N.

A union over subsets cannot put more than has already been there, because for every n, there has been FISON(n) in some line. Whether you call it consolidation or else: getting more than every FISON remains matheology without mathematical foundation.

> "Each child is on some bus" does not, necessarily, imply that "All children are on some bus".

Here we have a different situation: Each child is in one bus together with all smaller children. Try to figure out how many buses are required respectively possible.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
6/18/13
Read Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
fom
6/19/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
David Petry
6/19/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
fom
6/19/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/19/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Peter Percival
6/19/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/19/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Virgil
6/19/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Tucsondrew@me.com
6/21/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
David C. Ullrich
6/21/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/21/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Virgil
6/22/13
[...]
6/23/13
[...]
6/24/13
[...]
Read Re: WM screws up the notion of a limit!
Virgil
6/25/13
Read Re: WM screws up the notion of a limit!
Virgil
6/25/13
Read Re: WM screws up the notion of a limit!
Virgil
6/26/13
[...]
Ralf Bader
6/26/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/26/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Virgil
6/26/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
David C. Ullrich
6/26/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/26/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Virgil
6/27/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/27/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Virgil
6/26/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Virgil
6/27/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/27/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Virgil
6/28/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/28/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Tucsondrew@me.com
6/28/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/28/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Tucsondrew@me.com
6/28/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/28/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Tucsondrew@me.com
6/29/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
6/29/13
Read Re: Joel David Hamkins on definable real numbers in analysis
Virgil
6/30/13