Topic: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jul 9, 2013 7:59 AM

apoorv

Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:13:25 PM UTC+5:30, fom wrote:
> On 6/30/2013 9:05 AM, apoorv wrote:
>

> > Well, my sense is that the infinite enters mathematics or logic through the universal
>
> > Sentence..The universal sentence attempts to use ' a finite string ' to represent or define
>
> > Something infinite. To me, it is an appealing proposition, that 'Infinity cannot be finitely represented'. I made some posts earlier along those lines, but obviously, the mainstream
>
> > View is different.
>
> > -Apoorv
>

> I saw those posts and had been appreciative of
>
> the remarks.
>

> You are basically correct.

Thanks for that remark, Though what followed is far from clear to me.
The universal statement in a finite domain of discourse is nothing but a wff
(conjunction)Of sentential logic. Sentential logic does not allow us the luxury
Of an infinite conjunction. The universal statement, with an infinite domain of discourse,
Allows us to achieve the same .
Put differently, every wff of sentential logic can be mapped to a Boolean function from
The domain {0,1}^n to {0,1}.FOL , with it's Universal statement, allows
Us wff s with the domain {0,1}^00 and associate truth values with essentially infinite
Ordered Strings like (1,1,1...).
The probability of AxPx being True, , in the context of infinite domain and independent P(x) s
Is Zero.Equivalently, the information content is infinite.

-Apoorv