Topic: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Jul 5, 2013 1:27 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?

Joe Niederberger posted Jun 30, 2013 1:34 AM (GSC's remarks follow):
> G S Chandy says:
> >If to read and understand the 'logicist position' is
<snip>

> Here's a cute paper:
> http://www2.gsu.edu/~matgtc/three%20crises%20in%20math
> ematics.pdf

Thanks very much for the link to that paper "Three Crises in Math ...", by Ernst Snapper. I have glanced through it, and have saved it to *do* something with in due course.

It's most useful indeed, for exactly my specific purposes - and it's an exposition at more or less the level that I can *do* something with almost immediately, without having to do a huge amount of 'research' which I do not have the library resources or the time to do.

I shall *do* that in due course, and shall post the results here (probably as attachments to a posting here). Some parts of it may be of interest to others at Math-teach as well, specifically w.r.t. the claims I have been making about 'prose + structural graphics' and such matters.

By the way, I find that - 'intuitively' at least - this paper seems to confirm ALL of my arguments on these issues that I've made previously. I shall justify this claim in due course (but please give me a little time to do that, as at the moment I am pretty heavily committed otherwise).

GSC

------- End of Forwarded Message

Date Subject Author
6/28/13
Read Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
stefen
7/1/13
[...]
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Louis Talman
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/4/13
[...]
Anna Roys
[...]