Topic: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Jul 5, 2013 1:27 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?

I am becoming more and more convinced that you cannot teach it (logic) any more than you can teach the sense of smell.

I agree that it is a critical sense, indeed, the critical sense, because without it there is no chance of developing the intuition, instinct and habits of mind that I spoke of. But I am convinced that it is a sense and not something taught.

That would explain quite well what we see in the world, would it not? I mean, if logical sense is like, for example, musical sense, it would explain why only a few are able to thrive with it.

I distinctly remember in the 4th grade when I first recognized this sense. It wasn't like an epiphany, I wasn't even trying. It was like I just opened my eyes.

Bob Hansen

On Jul 1, 2013, at 10:53 AM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> R Hansen says
>> The statements of mathematics (its conclusions) are logical, but mathematics itself is much much more than just its statements.
>
> People often stress the importance of mathematics by saying that mathematics teaches critical thinking skills. Aside from "number sense" I think what they are really talking about, mostly, is the logical component of mathematics, which is generally implied rather than explicit. I see no reason why logic should not be taught at an early age, explicitly.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N
>
> ------- End of Forwarded Message

------- End of Forwarded Message

Date Subject Author
6/28/13
Read Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
stefen
7/1/13
[...]
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Louis Talman
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/4/13
[...]
Anna Roys
[...]