Topic: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Jul 5, 2013 1:27 AM

Louis Talman

Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 15:22:02 -0600, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu>
wrote:

> of the participants - currently a geometry teacher of such - announced
> to the class (with no appearance of guilt, just healthy ignorance) that
> he insisted that his students replicate the T- style proofs following
> exactly the same steps as the solutions manual because, otherwise, he
> could not tell if they were correct or not.

I'm not sure if my horror story is better or worse.

My HS geometry teacher could tell whether or not my (double-column)
geometry proofs were correct or not.

But she refused to give me credit when I gave proofs, which she admitted
were correct, of theorems proved in our book, if my proof was different
from the proof in the book---saying "The man who wrote the book is a
mathematician, and he gave that proof for a reason. You aren't a
mathematician, so you must use his proofs. When you're a mathematician,
you can use whatever proofs you want to."

Fortunately, I could tell whether or not *she* was correct. But, now that
I am a mathematician, I do use whatever proofs I want to.

- --Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>

Date Subject Author
6/28/13
Read Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
stefen
7/1/13
[...]
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Louis Talman
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/4/13
[...]
Anna Roys
[...]