Topic: Question Using Regexpi
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jul 8, 2013 10:35 AM

Kevin Ellis

Re: Question Using Regexpi

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <kr1ocm$rln$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 7/3/2013 12:20 PM, Doug Schwarz wrote:
>

> > Your idea is sound, but you have the RE wrong. The beginning of a word
> > anchor is '\<', not'<\'. Also, to match 1 or more contiguous digits
> > use '\d+'. So the final expression is '\<\d+\>' which does what you
> > want.
> >

> Thanks, Doug...I stared at and even thought I pasted from the regexp doc
> the form and still couldn't see had the \< reversed. I wasn't aware of
> (and didn't see in looking thru the voluminous doc altho I'm sure it's
> there if know where to look) the '+' though--would have thought the word
> expression would be sufficient.
>

> >> regexp(String,'\<\d+\>','match')
> ans =
> '61'

> And, by golly! it does... :) Now just how easy was that! :)
>
> I've never had the patience nor enough occasion where was forced to
> learn the syntax well enough that it isn't always starting over from
> near absolute zero every time it might be useful... :) (or :( more
> appropriately, maybe...)
>
> --

Thanks for the help. Both solutions work great. I would have never figured it out without everyone's help. I think regexpi works great for easy applications, but when things become more complicated the more I struggle with it.

Kevin