Topic: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Jul 5, 2013 1:27 AM

Anna Roys

Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
att1.html (3.6 K)

Perhaps logic is plural and new logics may be developed ?

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> [...]
> When I print the phrase "IS INCLUDED IN" in all capital letters I do
> "INCLUDE" 'set theoretical inclusion' - but something more, which has not
> (quite) been captured yet by 'the world of academic scholarship and
> convivial discussion', I'm afraid: at least not with the precision you
> attribute to it. This failure arises mainly, I claim, from their failure
> to use a form of language adequate to resolve the issues being discussed.
>
> In brief, I mean that it is a 'transitive relationship' AND that the idea
> of the functions of various transitive relationships in any system -
> including 'systems of thought' - have not been adequately or *effectively*
> explored by that world of academic scholarship and convivial discussion.
> - ------------------------------------------------
>
> Set theory seems to me to do an admirable job of defining precisely what
> the word (or symbol) "includes" means (when used in that theory.) And if we
> can borrow that precise meaning outside the theory proper, by that meaning,
> its easy to see most of the world would not consider it true, or even
> useful, that math includes logic. In a Venn diagram we wouldn't draw logic
> as a little circle inside an encompassing circle labelled math. We might
> draw two intersecting circles, or, if one is a holdout for logicism, draw
> math as a little circle inside a larger circle labelled logic. Or forget
> the diagrams. It seems uncontroversial that there is more to logic than
> math. Likewise, it seems that there is more to math than just logic, but
> that really only comes into play when dealing with infinity is some way or
> other. Most of the world, seems to me, doesn't really need the
> actual infinities some mathematicians prize so highly, but I'm duly
> impressed by Hilbert calling it Cantor's paradise. Some people absolutely
> *adore* the idea.
>
> So, I think that's precise enough, whereas what you write above (and I've
> quoted,) I find completely vague.
>
> G S Chandy says

> >There are, as you may have noticed, a huge number of people in this world
> (other than you). A great many of them do feel (in their 'real' lives) that
> 'the world of academic scholarship and convivial discussion' has not
> adequately captured their real needs and concerns by way of 'academic
> scholarship and convivial discussion'. Instances of such 'feelings' on
> their part abound everywhere in every aspect of our real lives. Instances
> that indicate that these feelings are not unjustified also abound.
>
> So, you think answers to these questions you have posed about math, logic,
> and your vague "IS INCLUDED IN" relation, have some vital interest for the
> mass of humanity? I don't believe it. Math, and the technologies it helps
> make possible, are doing fine, I think, without those particular answers. I
> could be wrong, but I haven't gotten even the vaguest of notions from this
> discussion what those interests might be.

Date Subject Author
6/28/13
Read Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
stefen
7/1/13
[...]
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Louis Talman
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/4/13
[...]
7/5/13