Topic: Question Using Regexpi
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jul 8, 2013 10:35 AM

EBS

Re: Question Using Regexpi

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <kr1r64$3l9$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 7/3/2013 1:16 PM, Kevin Ellis wrote:
>

> > Thanks for the help. Both solutions work great. I would have never
> > figured it out without everyone's help. I think regexpi works great for
> > easy applications, but when things become more complicated the more I
> > struggle with it.

> RE is a whole other language and one has to learn the syntax to make
> effective use of it. As noted, I've not attempted to do so which is
> only a remnant of my having not been willing to spend the time to do it
> (compounded by what I did learn some of was that built into the old
> Brief programmers' editor which is close but not quite the same so
> syntactic tidbits I do recall often aren't quite right, either).
>
> The only real complaint against regexp for complicated expressions and
> large problem sets is that it can become a bottleneck...
>
> --

Just a note dpb, I seem to recall that the folks who work on MATLAB's regexp engine have made performance improvements over time, and continue to do so. Not something that would make it into the release notes, but more 'behind the scenes' improvements.

Cheers