Topic: changing the default startup folder for MATLAB on Mac
Replies: 6   Last Post: Jul 12, 2013 6:50 AM

robert bristow-johnson

Re: changing the default startup folder for MATLAB on Mac

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:34:59 PM UTC-7, Steven_Lord wrote:
> <rbj@audioimagination.com> wrote in message

> > so the outa-box default is /Users/a_specific_user/Documents/MATLAB
> > i remember when installing it asked me about this and i said okay about
> > the default believing that i could easily change it later.

> I don't think the Installer asks you about the startup directory.

i seem to recall it did. there are more than one "user" in the Users directory, how else does MATLAB know to use the Documents folder in *my* user directory?

> I know it
> asks you where to install MATLAB, and that indeed is not easy to change
> after-the-fact (without reinstalling.) On certain platforms it also asks you
> if you want to create symbolic links and where it should create them if you
> do.
>

> I just looked through the Installation documentation to confirm that. None
> of the steps shown discuss the startup folder.
>

> http://www.mathworks.com/help/install/index.html
>

> > this page is no help whatsoever:
>

> > http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_env/changing-the-startup-folder.html
>

> What happened when you tried using the USERPATH function? Did MATLAB not
> start in that directory when you restarted it?

it didn't seem to work like that the first time, but now it seems to work correctly since it has not created a new MATLAB folder in my Documents folder as it had before (that was the thing that kept annoying me).

so

userpath('/Users/a_specific_user/projects/MATLAB')

sufficed to do this for the next startup (or, in my case, the startup following the next startup).

now my question is "how is this the least bit intuitive?" are the words "startup folder" related to the concept "userpath"? semantically, i don't see them as the same thing.

> If it did not, and if the
> directory exists, and if you have the necessary permissions to be in that
> directory, that sounds like a bug.
>

> > why cannot MATLAB just have this as part of the Preferences function?
>

> That seems like a reasonable enhancement request. I'll add it to the
> enhancement database.

it seems so basic that i cannot understand it as an "enhancement". it should simply be that way from the beginning. it's a configuration parameter (as is the userpath and the current folder). you should be able to simply get to it, using the common name, and there modify it.

r b-j