Topic: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Jul 5, 2013 1:27 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?

Responding to Lou Talman's post dt, Jul 3, 2013 10:27 PM:

Both the 'horror stories' recounted (yours, pasted below my signature for reference; and Wayne Bishop's http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9152741) are pretty horrific. (I recall that I too had encountered some such horrors). They seem - to my mind at least - to be reflections (or almost inevitable outcomes?) of some difficulties we're confronting in the way we (human beings) are tackling 'problem solving' in general.

Here the problem appears to be that 'teaching' appears not to *realise* that it is, in fact, part of a 'dyad', namely 'teaching + learning'. Both 'teaching' and 'learning' suffer on this account. The teachers and students also suffer. I'd guess that the suffering of the students may be somewhat greater than the suffering of the teachers. Or maybe not, in the case of a sensitive teacher who is really passionate about his/her profession.

GSC
Lou Talman posted Jul 3, 2013 10:27 PM:

> On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 15:22:02 -0600, Wayne Bishop
> <wbishop@calstatela.edu>
> wrote:
>

> > of the participants - currently a geometry teacher
> of such - announced
> > to the class (with no appearance of guilt, just
> healthy ignorance) that
> > he insisted that his students replicate the T-
> style proofs following
> > exactly the same steps as the solutions manual
> because, otherwise, he
> > could not tell if they were correct or not.
>
> I'm not sure if my horror story is better or worse.
>
> My HS geometry teacher could tell whether or not my
> (double-column)
> geometry proofs were correct or not.
>
> But she refused to give me credit when I gave proofs,
> which she admitted
> were correct, of theorems proved in our book, if my
> proof was different
> from the proof in the book---saying "The man who
> o wrote the book is a
> mathematician, and he gave that proof for a reason.
> You aren't a
> mathematician, so you must use his proofs. When
> you're a mathematician,
> you can use whatever proofs you want to."
>
> Fortunately, I could tell whether or not *she* was
> correct. But, now that
> I am a mathematician, I do use whatever proofs I want
> to.
>
> - --Louis A. Talman
> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State University of Denver
>
> <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>

Date Subject Author
6/28/13
Read Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
6/28/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/29/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
6/30/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
stefen
7/1/13
[...]
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/2/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Louis Talman
7/3/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/4/13
[...]
Anna Roys
[...]