Topic: Real-world example of the liar paradox
Replies: 6   Last Post: Jul 6, 2013 8:01 PM

Helmut Wabnig

Re: Real-world example of the liar paradox

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 19:24:00 +1000, "INFINITY POWER"
<infinity@limited.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 6, 2013 5:08:41 PM UTC+10, Paul wrote:
>> Nick Davies's book, Flat Earth News, says "it is a very safe bet that
>> there are mistakes in this book." Later, I met the author and reminded him
>> of this quote, and asked him what the mistakes were. He replied that the
>> only error he knew of was extremely minor. (He described the error, but I
>> forget the details.) If we tweak this account just a little bit and deem
>> the book to be free of mistakes, then we get the liar paradox -- the only
>> mistake in the book is the assertion that there are mistakes in the book.
>>

>> Paul Epstein

>I made a quick program for this ...
>
>herc said [liar bethy ]
>
>bethy said
> [liar herc] &
> [herc said [liar bethy]]
> ->
> truthful bethy
> ->
> liar herc
>

>> if you always lie, and you say that I am a liar, then I must be telling
>> the truth, which means that you do always lie (?).

Too old and outdated.

Nowadays we assign probability values to a statement,
and the average of your two statements is p = 0,5 depending on
how true and false would be defined.

1 = true
0 = false.

You are only a half-liar.