Topic: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Replies: 32   Last Post: Jul 7, 2013 9:03 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?

Sorry, I meant when you said "B therefore A". In CS that doesn't follow the same way it does in math.

Bob Hansen

On Jul 6, 2013, at 8:42 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2013, at 7:38 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:
>

>> At 09:34 AM 7/5/2013, Robert Hansen wrote:
>>

>>> You want to teach something like ...
>>>
>>> If A then B. Not B therefore Not A.

>> My point was that in the "real world"; it is far more important to be persuasive that: If A then B. Not A therefore Not B. And don't forget: B therefore A.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> That's funny. When you said "Not B therefore Not A" I had to take off my CS hat, and put my math hat back on. For a second I was "Huh?".:)
>
> I was actually addressing Joe, but what do you mean by "persuasive"? My premise is that the student has to feel it or they will not develop the necessary instinct and intuition to use it later. You meet people often that cannot (and I pretty much mean not at all) fill in the blanks. If you show them an end result, they cannot even hypothesize (as you or I might) how you got there. Put simply, you cannot teach them how to fish. They lack the art (entirely).
>
> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
7/4/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Clyde Greeno
7/4/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/4/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
7/4/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
7/4/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/5/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Louis Talman
7/5/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
7/5/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
7/5/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
GS Chandy
7/5/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/5/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Joe Niederberger
7/5/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/6/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of
logic?
Wayne Bishop
7/6/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/6/13
Read Re: Is logic part of mathematics - or is mathematics part of logic?
Robert Hansen
7/7/13
[...]
Jonathan Crabtree
7/5/13