Topic: Using Rap to Learn Science
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jul 11, 2013 9:15 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Using Rap to Learn Science

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jul 6, 2013 9:37 PM (GSC's remarks follow):

> On Jul 6, 2013, at 11:49 AM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> >> Anything for teachers as long as it's not
> >> teaching. And we wonder why God created private
> >> schools and homeschooling.
> >>
> >> Wayne
> >>

> > Wayne, this is an after-school activity for

> students, not teachers. God is okay with it.
> >
> > Richard

> Well, at least you have the decency to not call it a
> teaching activity, or god forbid, a science teaching
> activity.

I'd be most grateful if you'd explain to be just how "decency" enters into the issue. (Perhaps it does; if so, I would be eager to learn just how that happens).

What Richard has described is actually a 'learning activity' (perhaps accomplished via some 'after-school activity').

'Learning' is part of what I've called the 'teaching+learning' dyad.

It may be quite useful if you (and others) would try and understand that 'teaching' should not EVER stand alone, but should ALWAYS be treated as an integral part of the above-noted dyad.

In the 'conventional' and the 'traditional' educational systems, many often do try to treat 'teaching' in isolation, quite apart from the 'learning activity'. No wonder both teaching and learning are so very ineffective in our existing systems!

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
[...]