Topic: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Replies: 27   Last Post: Jul 8, 2013 9:56 PM

fom

Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols

On 7/7/2013 1:10 PM, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
> "fom" <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote in message

>> On 7/7/2013 8:06 AM, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
>>> "Julio Di Egidio" <julio@diegidio.name> wrote in message

>>> Oops, I just meant: We know it when we know it...

>> It is common among the men with whom I
>> work to hear, "It is what it is".
>>
>> I take it to be an article of faith

> Is that all you could gather? Then I'll give you another pearl to think
> about: dogmatism and scepticism are the two sides of the same coin. But
> take your time...

Well, I had been thinking in terms of the
fact that experience has an unavoidable
subjective sense. It invariably admits the
reduction of linguistic expressions to mere
syntax. But, it is also the subjective
experience that affords meaningful interpretation.

It is in the transition from subjective to
objective where all of the difficulties seem to
arise.

The sense in which mathematicians had to face
this is nicely summarized in DeMorgan,

"As soon as the idea of acquiring
symbols and laws of combination,
without given meaning, has become
familiar, the student has the notion
of what I will call a symbolic
calculus; which, with certain symbols
and certain laws of combination, is
symbolic algebra: an art, not a
science; and an apparently useless
art, except as it may afterwards
furnish the grammar of a science.
The proficient in a symbolic calculus
would naturally demand a supply
of meaning. Suppose him left without
the power of obtaining it from
without: his teacher is dead, and he
must invent meanings for himself.
His problem is: Given symbols and
laws of combination, required meanings
for the symbols of which the right
to make those combinations shall be
a logical consequence. He tries,
and succeeds; he invents a set of
meanings which satisfy the conditions.
Has he then supplied what his teacher
would have given, if he had lived?
In one particular, certainly: he has
turned his symbolic calculus into a
significant one. But it does not
follow that he has done it in a way
which his teacher would have taught
if he had lived. It is possible
that many different sets of meanings
may, when attached to the symbols,
make the rules necessary consequences."

Augustus De Morgan

My co-workers, however, would tend to make
the remark along the lines of their respective
faiths. And, to be honest, when suspended
in a rowboat on two wires 300 feet above
grade, I do too.

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/6/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
7/7/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Peter Percival
7/7/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/8/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
7/8/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/6/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
LudovicoVan
7/6/13
[...]
apoorv
7/7/13