Topic: Matheology § 300
Replies: 27   Last Post: Jul 9, 2013 2:53 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology � 300

In article <0625df72-d65d-4eba-8b67-6c0c7e1b335b@googlegroups.com>,
Zeit Geist <tucsondrew@me.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, July 7, 2013 3:32:50 PM UTC-7, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
>

> > No, that is not what I have said. Take a few good breaths before you try
> >
> > again reading, but be aware that understanding my statement may blow your
> >
> > mind. A man warned is half saved...
> >

> This is what you said
>
> ""Zeit Geist" <tucso...@me.com> wrote in message

> > On Sunday, July 7, 2013 2:59:23 AM UTC-7, muec...@rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:
> >

> >> The old story of the marbles in the urn. In the limit the urn is empty
> >> but the limit of number of marbles is infinite. If limits have to be
> >> calculated by the finite terms, like in mathematics,then this is a
> >> contradiction.

> > You mean the Urn where every marble is eventually removed,
> > and at Noon the Urn is empty?

> That's indeed a patent logical invalidity, already enough to warrant a
> revision of standard set theory.

The way I have heard that vase story is that for every ball, there is a
time before noon at which the ball is inserted into the vase and a later
time, but still before noon, at which that same ball is removed from the
vase. Have I misunderstood this in some way?

If I have not, then it is clear that every ball that was inserted into
the vase before noon will have also been removed by noon.