Topic: Tensor Definition
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jul 16, 2013 8:48 PM

J.B. Wood

Re: Tensor Definition

On 07/08/2013 11:03 AM, Sam Sung wrote:
> J.B. Wood write:
>

>> Hello, all. Just when I think I've got a good handle on tensors (after
>> painstakingly reading and working problems in Louis Brand's "Vector and
>> Tensor Analysis"), I come across the following in Merriam-Webster's
>> Collegiate Dictionary:
>>
>> "A generalized vector with more than three components each of which is a
>> function of an arbitrary point in space of an appropriate number of
>> dimensions"
>>
>> That definition seems to exclude well-known dyadics (stress tensor,
>> permeability tensor, etc) having 9-components that are constants (for
>> the material involved.) That aside, I'm still having a problem grasping
>> the foregoing definition. Thanks for your time and any comment. Sincerely,

> You might read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor

Hello, and thanks for responding. I read the Wiki entry prior to my OP.
I don't see the correlation to the Webster definition. Given the
usual 3-D orthonormal coordinate systems commonly used in physics and
engineering (rectangular, cylindrical, spherical) I can view unit dyads
(having "two directions" just as easily as unit vectors having but one
direction (x, y, or z) and a dyadic having a total of 9 components vice
3. Still, that dictionary definition confounds me. Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com