Topic: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Replies: 27   Last Post: Jul 8, 2013 9:56 PM

apoorv

Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols

On Monday, July 8, 2013 3:32:17 AM UTC+5:30, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
> "fom" <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote in message

> > On 7/7/2013 1:10 PM, Julio Di Egidio wrote:
>
> >> "fom" <fom?.@nyms.net> wrote in message

> >> Is that all you could gather? Then I'll give you another pearl to think
>
> >> about: dogmatism and scepticism are the two sides of the same coin. But
>
> >> take your time...
>

> > Well, I had been thinking in terms of the
>
> > fact that experience has an unavoidable
>
> > subjective sense. It invariably admits the
>
> > reduction of linguistic expressions to mere
>
> > syntax. But, it is also the subjective
>
> > experience that affords meaningful interpretation.
>

> I do not see how linguistic expression (language) can be reduced to syntax:
>
> a sign is not a symbol, the magic is all in the interpreter.
>

> > It is in the transition from subjective to
>
> > objective where all of the difficulties seem to
>
> > arise.
>

> We have already spoken about these seeming difficulties: what "objectivity"
>
> I would ask? I.e. same cart before the horses. There just is no such thing
>
> as a purely syntactical proof.
>

> Julio

When we say, in sentential logic,
From A & B , infer A
iour reasoning appears to be purely syntactical.
Even semantic inference of the type
The sun is shining--> it is bright
Perhaps has a syntactic basis to it .
We are perhaps, based on experience,
Informally and subconsciously setting,
The sun is shining <--> it is bright & There is no artificial light.
FOPL brings in , as a logical axiom,
AxPx -> Pa for every a .
So long as the domain is finite,
AxPx is but a finite conjunction of the type Pa&Pb etc and semantic
Inference is nothing but purely syntactic inference.
It is infinite domains where the two differ.
-Apoorv

> > The sense in which mathematicians had to face
>
> > this is nicely summarized in DeMorgan,
>

> > "As soon as the idea of acquiring
>
> > symbols and laws of combination,
>
> > without given meaning, has become
>
> > familiar, the student has the notion
>
> > of what I will call a symbolic
>
> > calculus; which, with certain symbols
>
> > and certain laws of combination, is
>
> > symbolic algebra: an art, not a
>
> > science; and an apparently useless
>
> > art, except as it may afterwards
>
> > furnish the grammar of a science.
>
> > The proficient in a symbolic calculus
>
> > would naturally demand a supply
>
> > of meaning. Suppose him left without
>
> > the power of obtaining it from
>
> > without: his teacher is dead, and he
>
> > must invent meanings for himself.
>
> > His problem is: Given symbols and
>
> > laws of combination, required meanings
>
> > for the symbols of which the right
>
> > to make those combinations shall be
>
> > a logical consequence. He tries,
>
> > and succeeds; he invents a set of
>
> > meanings which satisfy the conditions.
>
> > Has he then supplied what his teacher
>
> > would have given, if he had lived?
>
> > In one particular, certainly: he has
>
> > turned his symbolic calculus into a
>
> > significant one. But it does not
>
> > follow that he has done it in a way
>
> > which his teacher would have taught
>
> > if he had lived. It is possible
>
> > that many different sets of meanings
>
> > may, when attached to the symbols,
>
> > make the rules necessary consequences."
>
> > Augustus De Morgan
>

> > My co-workers, however, would tend to make
>
> > the remark along the lines of their respective
>
> > faiths. And, to be honest, when suspended
>
> > in a rowboat on two wires 300 feet above
>
> > grade, I do too.

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/6/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
7/7/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Peter Percival
7/7/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/8/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
7/8/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/5/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
fom
7/6/13
Read Re: Ordinals describable by a finite string of symbols
LudovicoVan
7/6/13