Topic: Using Rap to Learn Science
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jul 11, 2013 9:15 AM

Richard Strausz

Re: Using Rap to Learn Science

> On Jul 8, 2013, at 6:07 PM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> > What would you have a geometry teacher do when
> facing a student who didn't master completing the
> square in his past? I say 'let him sing the darn
> song!
>
> I would teach him how to complete the square.
>
> Why isn't that your first and only answer? What the
> heck good is the song going to do this kid?
>
> Bob Hansen

He can apply the formula even if he doesn't know why it works. I do offer to meet with the student outside of class to go through the derivation. You might be surprised to learn that many (most?) just want to use the tool. As a geometry teacher I am sensitive to focus my classroom time on geometric content.

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
Read Using Rap to Learn Science
Robert Hansen
[...]