Topic: gmdistribution.fit ERROR: Method 'fit' is not defined for class 'gmdistribution' or is removed from MATLAB's search path
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 9, 2013 11:02 AM

Steven Lord

Re: gmdistribution.fit ERROR: Method 'fit' is not defined for class 'gmdistribution' or is removed from MATLAB's search path

"Fabio " <fabioscky-@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi, I have to use a specific program that contains those rows:
>

>>S = struct('mu',mu,'Sigma',sigma,'PComponents',p);
>>options = statset('Display','final','MaxIter', 9000);
>>object =gmdistribution.fit(X,NGauss,'Options', options,'Start',S);

> but when I launch the program it returns this error:
>

>>Error using gmdistribution.fit
>>Method 'fit' is not defined for class 'gmdistribution' or is removed from
>>MATLAB's search path.

Which version of MATLAB and Statistics Toolbox are you using?

What do you see when you type:

which -all gmdistribution

which -all fit

I want to make sure that there's no other gmdistribution class that's taking
precedence over the one included in Statistics Toolbox.

>>Error in val (line 149)
>>object =gmdistribution.fit(X,NGauss,'Options', options,'Start',S);

> Into the folder "toolbox/stats/stas" there is the "@gmdistribution"
> directory, but if I try to create a new path it returns:
>

>>you cannot add method folders(ones that starts with '@'). or private
>>folders to your Matlab search path.

> Moreover if i type "gmdistribution" on the command window it returns:
>

>>> gmdistribution
>
> ans =
> gmdistribution
>
> Properties:
> NDimensions: 0
> DistName: 'gaussian mixture distribution'
> NComponents: 0
> PComponents: [0x1 double]
> mu: []
> Sigma: []
> NlogL: []
> AIC: []
> BIC: []
> Converged: []
> Iters: []
> SharedCov: []
> CovType: []
> RegV: 0
>
> Methods
>
> Methods for class gmdistribution:
> gmdistribution Static methods:
> fit

This is not the display I expected, which makes me even more suspicious that
you have a gmdistribution function that's taking precedence over the
Statistics Toolbox one or have modified the gmdistribution files in the
Toolbox or that your installation of Statistics Toolbox is incomplete or
corrupted.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com