Topic: Tensor Definition
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jul 16, 2013 8:48 PM

Herman Rubin

Re: Tensor Definition

On 2013-07-08, Sam Sung <no@mail.invalid> wrote:
> J.B. Wood wrote:
>> On 07/08/2013 11:03 AM, Sam Sung wrote:
>>> J.B. Wood write:

>>> You might read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor

>> Hello, and thanks for responding. I read the Wiki entry prior to my OP.
>> I don't see the correlation to the Webster definition.

> I read this as an example for the use of tensors.

>> Given the
>> usual 3-D orthonormal coordinate systems commonly used in physics and
>> engineering (rectangular, cylindrical, spherical) I can view unit dyads
>> (having "two directions" just as easily as unit vectors having but one
>> direction (x, y, or z) and a dyadic having a total of 9 components vice
>> 3. Still, that dictionary definition confounds me. Sincerely,

> Tensors are/canbe used by more than this kind of stuff; see
> (the first sentence of) http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=tensor

Still thinking like geometers or physicists. The uses given are
essentially of "square" (or cube or higher order) tensors, which
are a special case, but only a special case. I have used tensors
which do not have the same number of dimensions in each direction
these are useful algebraically. An interesting argument in
computational algebra is that the number of non-sacalar operations
needed to compute the matrix product AB where A and B are arbitrary
matrices of the appropriate sizes is the rank of the tensior product
tr ABC, where A,B, and C are arbitrary matrices of the appropriate
sizes and the product is square. This will not satisfy the cited
criteria for tensors.