Topic: Tensor Definition
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jul 16, 2013 8:48 PM

Tanu R.

Re: Tensor Definition

Shmuel Metz wrote:

> In <slrnktoopj.pkp.hrubin@skew.stat.purdue.edu>, on 07/09/2013
> at 07:17 PM, Herman Rubin <hrubin@skew.stat.purdue.edu> said:
>

>> Still thinking like geometers or physicists.
>
> What contemporary geometer would assume 3 dimensions in the definition
> of tensor? For that matter, I'm sceptical that a post-Relativity
> physicist would.

Physicists use(d) phase (or configuration) spaces, eg the infinitely
dimensional Hilbert space in quantum physics since some year 1877

classical:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamiltonian_mechanics
qm: