Topic: Using Rap to Learn Science
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jul 11, 2013 9:15 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Using Rap to Learn Science

Wayne Bishop posted Jul 10, 2013 7:43 AM (GSC's remarks interspersed):
> Do they know and can they prove the underlying
> theorems? FAR more
> important from my perspective (as a teacher of future
> geometry teachers).

Indeed the teachers and students together should be able to understand and do all of that (and probably a lot more, besides).

So how would you go about bringing about such awareness and understanding amongst your math teachers (and acceptance amongst your students) for this more rigorous approach to math education?

It's entirely unlikely to come about, in practice on the ground, by your slogan "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (okay, it was Redi Lyon's) - or by Haim's slogan "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!"..

Such empty sloganeering will NEVER accomplish anything useful.

What is required - and it is the ONLY thing required - is a practical means to enable good ideas (wherever they may come from) to be *integrated* effectively into an Action Plan and to ensure that worthless ideas are thrown into the garbage bin (wherever they may come from).

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

> At 12:47 PM 7/9/2013, Richard Strausz wrote:

> > > And I say 'Don't waste more time avoiding
> > > mathematics.' Beyond that,
> > > why is a geometry teacher facing a situation

> where a
> > > student needs to
> > > apply the quadratic formula? Especially,

> without
> > > having any idea
> > > what it means or where it came from? More blind

> rote
> > > response
> > > instead of mathematics understanding?
> > >
> > > Wayne

> >There are 2 intersecting chords in a circle whose

> lengths are 10 and
> >7. If the longer chord is divided into parts of 1
> and 9, what are
> >the lengths of the 2 parts of the shorter chord?
> >
> >Richard

> start
> > > there.

> > > facing a student who

[...]