Topic: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Replies: 23   Last Post: Jul 11, 2013 1:00 PM

Marc

Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <krhc24$h9h$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> [...]

> > right in and start using ACCUMARRAY their first day.
> >
> > I think the mental model for the documentation staff for "Getting
> > Started" is what do new users need in order to get them started using
> > MATLAB. As I look at Getting Started now, all of the topics seem like
> > things that a new user may need to do in their first week of using
> > MATLAB. The basics of working with the Desktop? Sure, absolutely.
> > Matrices and Arrays? Can't do much in MATLAB without them. Indexing? Ditto.
> >
> > Maybe we need an "Intermediate MATLAB Programming" documentation section
> > that discusses some of the more advanced topics, like matrix
> > creation/manipulation with BSXFUN, ACCUMARRAY, etc.? What do others think?

> Perhaps...I don't disagree necessarily that "Getting Started" isn't the
> right place, only that it's what there is in the organization.
>
> What I find most frustrating w/ the documentation as a long-time user
> trying to come to grips w/ the new features in a relatively limited
> amount of time which I think sorta' emulates a new user w/ a real
> problem rather than the undergraduate student in first programming
> course is that there isn't a top-level TOC any longer that is visible as
> before except by having to physically revert to it and that, at least to
> me, it seems as though the narrative material that is background is much
> more difficult to find than previously.
>
> I'll swear I've seen some in-depth descriptions of some feature that I
> managed to get to somehow, but later when trying to find it I can't seem
> to get that particular section back no matter how I try to find it.
> Unfortunately, I can't put my finger on a specific example to illustrate
> directly; I just know it has happened on more than one subject having to
> do w/ data structures primarily. Perhaps part of that is having to do
> w/ now having some toolboxes that never had before so now I've got a new
> class or two that tend to get mixed into the search results and so
> sometimes maybe what I've gotten into had to do w/, say, the Statistics
> dataset object when what I had been looking at was details of structures...
>
> I agree, 'tis a quandary and the TMW could easily spend 10X the budget
> on documentation and still not cover everything everybody would like.
>
> I do think the new format is a step backwards, however. I've had some
> offline conversations w/ other TMW staff who were/are the contact for
> the current version license arrangement in that regard who has promised
> to take the comments to heart. Now, whether there's any hope of any
> redirection in the ways in which I think it should go I've no idea...I
> have no way of knowing how my feedback and impressions match up w/ those
> from any other users.
>
> I am, however, while occasionally frustrated, trying to be sure that all
> my complaints have some constructive input in direction towards how I
> would prefer to see the area improved/changed/resolved...

This point was brought up in Jan Simon's question about how users feel about the "new" Matlab interface. This is a hard pill to swallow for me as well, as I have not only promoted Matlab over the years, but raved about how excellent the documentation WAS!

I still have 2010a on my laptop, mostly for the documentation.

That said, this new documentation is a hard sell and no longer something I rave about.

This needs to be fixed. There is no shame in going back. Hopefully the Mathworks is not too big to say, maybe this was a mistake.

On a functional note, the help system feels like I run into dead ends. I end up on some page and trying to go back a step seems not possible. So, I need to go back to the command line, after closing out the help browser, and arrow up to start again...

No fixing this. The old documentation was awesome. No need to change.

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
Read I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/5/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/6/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
james bejon
7/8/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Steven Lord
7/8/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/9/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Steven Lord
7/9/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Marc
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Kim Andrews
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
EBS
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
EBS
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Kelly Kearney
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/11/13