Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

clicliclic@freenet.de

"Nasser M. Abbasi" schrieb:

> Speaking of independent integration test suite. I have an old
> dover book with over 2,000 indefinite integrals and their
> solutions. Book is called
>
> "A new table of indefinite integrals computer processed"
> by Melvin Klerer and Fred Grossman ISBN 0-486-62714-4 1971
>
> I scanned one page of the book (with the covers) here as
> an example:
>
> http://12000.org/tmp/070913/sample.pdf
>
> According to the book, these are all verified and correct.
>
> These were collected by the authors from many sources. Table
> 1 in the book shows the sources. Here are the sources: (used OCR to grab
> this from the scanned page, so some typos might be there)
>
> (I) Gradshteyn, I. S. and Ryzhik, I. M., Table of Integrals, Series and
> Products, 4th Ed., Academic Press, 1965;
>
> (2) Peirce, B. O. and Foster, R. M., A Short Table of Integrals, 4th Ed.,
> Ginn & Co., 1956;
>
> (3) Dwight, H. B., Tables of Integrals and Other Mathematical Data, 4th Ed., Macmillan Co., 1966;
>
> (4) Abramowitz, M. and Stegun, I. A., eds., Handbook of Mathematical Functions,
> NBS Applied Math Series-55, 1964;
>
> (5) Petit Bois, G., Tables of Indefinite Integrals, Dover Publications, Inc., 1961;
>
> (6) Grobner, W. and Hofreiter, N., I ntegraltafel, unbestimmte Integrale, Teil I, Springer-Verlag, 1965;
>
> (7) Selby, S. M. and Girling, B., eds., Standard Mathematical Tables, 14th Ed., Chemical Rubb'er Co.,
> 1965;
>
> (8) Meyer zur Capellen, W., Integraltafeln, Sammlung unbestimmer Integrale elementarer
> Functionen, Springer-Verlag, 1950.

I expect you would run into copyright problems with Klerer-Grossman
(1971) or with any of their references if you want to make a substantial
fraction of such a book publicly accessible in form of a symbolic
integration test suite. On the other hand, there should be no problems
with Soviet era Russian books like Timofeev's, which seem to be in the
public domain anyway, and which would also not simply be copied in toto.

I also think that collections of example problems or exercises, which
are meant to probe a human integrator's range of capabilities, provide
more realistic testing than integral tables, whose purpose is quite
different. Thus I suggest you look into Giunter and Kuz'min's famous
"Collection of problems in higher mathematics" comprising three volumes.
I would expect a rich collection of indefinite integrals (along with
their solutions) among the problems - perhaps somebody can tell us in
which volume? Download links to vols. I (two versions), II, and III are
given below.

Martin.

[line breaks must be removed before use]

<http://www.enlightenmebook.com/%D0%B3%D1%8E%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B5%D1
%80-%D0%BD%D0%BC-%D0%BA%D1%83%D0%B7%D1%8C%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%BD-%D1%80
%D0%BE-%D1%81%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0
%B4%D0%B0%D1%87-%D0%BF%D0%BE-%D0%B2%D1%8B%D1%81%D1%88%D0%B5%D0%B9
-%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B5-%D1
%82%D0%BE%D0%BC-1_45b65093793.html>

<http://www.enlightenmebook.com/%D0%B3%D1%8E%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B5%D1
%80-%D0%BD%D0%BC-%D0%BA%D1%83%D0%B7%D1%8C%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%BD-%D1%80
%D0%BE-%D1%81%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0
%B4%D0%B0%D1%87-%D0%BF%D0%BE-%D0%B2%D1%8B%D1%81%D1%88%D0%B5%D0%B9
-%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B5-%D1
%82%D0%BE%D0%BC-1_a28478bbe4c.html>

<http://www.enlightenmebook.com/%D0%B3%D1%8E%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B5%D1
%80-%D0%BD%D0%BC-%D0%BA%D1%83%D0%B7%D1%8C%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%BD-%D1%80
%D0%BE-%D1%81%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0
%B4%D0%B0%D1%87-%D0%BF%D0%BE-%D0%B2%D1%8B%D1%81%D1%88%D0%B5%D0%B9
-%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B5-%D1
%82%D0%BE%D0%BC-2_27f21ac6601.html>

<http://www.enlightenmebook.com/%D0%B3%D1%8E%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B5%D1
%80-%D0%BD%D0%BC-%D0%BA%D1%83%D0%B7%D1%8C%D0%BC%D0%B8%D0%BD-%D1%80
%D0%BE-%D1%81%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA-%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0
%B4%D0%B0%D1%87-%D0%BF%D0%BE-%D0%B2%D1%8B%D1%81%D1%88%D0%B5%D0%B9
-%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B5-%D1
%82%D0%BE%D0%BC-3_d25ce590b72.html>

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de
clicliclic@freenet.de