Topic: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Replies: 23   Last Post: Jul 11, 2013 1:00 PM

dpb

Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?

On 7/10/2013 1:22 PM, Eric Sampson wrote:

> I must be being dense too ;) because didn't you already show in your
> example that you can use the ~ operator to ignore return values, like
> [~,~,c] = unique(a(:,3)); or am I misunderstanding your question?

But I had to save c in order to pass it to the following invocation of
arrayfun().

It would be _a_good_thing_ since that's the only reason for c to not to
have to create it in the workplace or local context an have it hanging
around but rather to have it be a temporary by nesting the function calls.

If it were u that were needed/wanted as the argument, then it could be done.

Sometimes, if the function result is need more than once then it makes
sense to make the temporary to avoid repeated evaluations, of course
(there's where enhancing the optimizer comes in if it can recognize
common expressions and eliminate the second call or not).

That help, hopefully?

--

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/9/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Steven Lord
7/9/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Marc
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Kim Andrews
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
EBS
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
EBS
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Kelly Kearney
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/11/13