Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: An independent integration test suite/ Klerer?

On 7/10/2013 9:35 AM, Richard Fateman wrote:
> On 7/9/2013 9:50 PM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

>> I scanned one page of the book (with the covers) here as
>> an example:
>>
>> http://12000.org/tmp/070913/sample.pdf
>>
>> According to the book, these are all verified and correct.
>>

> You might read more carefully what they mean by verified.
> (And report back here).
> As I recall, all they did was some random numerical evaluation,
> hardly the kind of checking that would confirm behavior at
> singularities etc.

I added the 2 pages from introduction that describes what they did to
the above pdf sample. Here is some snippet:

"
(b) The automatically linearized form of each integral was then
processed by a program that numerically differentiated the integral
at various values for the variable of integration and at various
values for the parameters of the integrand. These derivatives were
compared to the respective integrand evaluated at the same points. The
truncation errors of the differentiation approximation and the
computational rounding error were first estimated for the various
evaluation points.

These values were used to adjust the parameters of
the differentiation so that the truncation error and the rounding error
would be approximately equal. The integral was accepted if the absolute
value of the difference between the integrand and the numerical derivative
the numerical derivative of the integral (the absolute error) was less than
or equal to the estimated total error at aLL points of evaluation.

For situations where the estimated total error could be considered to
be negligible, an alternate criterion was to restrict the allowed
relative error, that is, the absolute error stated above divided by the
value of the integfand.

The program monitored itself to avotd undue loss of precision due to subtraction
errors in computing derivatives, and for this purpose made appropriate
adjustments in the differentiation parameters. The strictness of the
numerical criteria was a function of the word size of the computer (in this
case, thirty binary bits for a floating-point mantissa) and of the empirical
monitoring of results to minimize the probability of an incorrect integral
slipping through the process. These programs were written in the K-M
language and compiled by the K-M system.
(c) Simultaneously, the results, which included the precision of validation
or range of errors for each datum, were recorded via high-speed printer
listing. Corrolary data were output via the computer typewriter terminal."

--Nasser

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de
clicliclic@freenet.de