Topic: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Replies: 23   Last Post: Jul 11, 2013 1:00 PM

dpb

Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?

On 7/10/2013 1:35 PM, Kelly Kearney wrote:

> I forget how the hell I learned this trick, because the documentation
> for the SZ input to accumarray is confusing at best (rereading it now,
> it still doesn't make any sense to me, even knowing what the effect is).
> Anyway, to get cell array output from your example, add that third
> input, and make sure your function returns a cell array:

>>> a = [1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3];
>>> b = [1 2 3 4 5 8 10 5 6 8];
>>> [u,~,c] = unique(a);

>>> groups = accumarray(c,b, [length(u) 1], @(x) {x})
>>> missing = accumarray(c,b, [length(u) 1], @(x) {setdiff(min(x):max(x),
>>> x)})

Brilliant!!! :)

I agree on the doc re: SZ argument; I puzzled over it at length
initially and gave up. I've not yet pursued all of Steven's in depth
enough to know if that helps on that point or not but thanks...this
really solves several things have seen recently.

--

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/9/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Steven Lord
7/9/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Marc
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Kim Andrews
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
EBS
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
EBS
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Kelly Kearney
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/11/13