Topic: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Replies: 23   Last Post: Jul 11, 2013 1:00 PM

dpb

Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?

On 7/10/2013 4:30 PM, Kelly Kearney wrote:
> dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <krke4s$htn$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
>> On 7/10/2013 2:22 PM, Eric Sampson wrote:
>> > dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <krk9mr$5c5$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
>>
>> .. wanting a way to hold a temporary variable or other syntax to
>> eliminate temporaries for optional return variables...

>> Not sure there is a general solution, unfortunately.
>
> There is... write a new function. :-)
> I got very tired of this accumarray limitation, since almost all my
> applications of the function involve grouping variables that a) are
> floating point values, not indices, b) are multi-column (i.e a unique(a,
> 'rows') sort of situation), and/or c) are cell arrays of strings.
> Combining (b) and (c) is particularly annoying since unique(x,'rows')
> somewhat inexplicably can't handle multi-column cell arrays of strings,
> adding more intermediate steps to get the proper index variable.
>
> So, I wrote my own wrapper for accumarray (aggregate.m) that allows all
> of the above, cutting out the need for intermediate storage. Posting it
> to the FEX now; should appear soon. There's also consolidator.m in the
> FEX, which is also a more flexible version of accumarray but if I
> remember correctly restricts functions to scalar output.

Does it eliminate the intermediary storage or only move it to a level
below the calling function so it does (at least which is _a_good_thing_
(tm) ) vanish silently?

> And regarding the other topic of this thread, I also hate the new
> documentation. But I've been lamenting changes on that front ever since
> they eliminated the Index... it's simply gotten worse and worse since
> then. The crash-Matlab-completely-for-no-apparent-reason feature of the
> R2013a Help Browser is a particularly nice touch, though. Ugh.

That's disheartening to hear it hasn't yet gone away--I found it in R2012b.

--

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/9/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Steven Lord
7/9/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Marc
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Kim Andrews
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
EBS
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
EBS
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
Kelly Kearney
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/10/13
Read Re: I'm dense, but...somebody 'splain accumarray() please?
dpb
7/11/13