Topic: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jul 12, 2013 11:58 PM

Richard Strausz

Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers

> No, but thanks for asking. What I really believe
> would be most
> useful would be an end to education classes and a
> year or two in a
> PAID apprenticeship role working with mathematics
> teachers who have
> been deemed to be especially effective (by
> math-competent
> people). My own student teaching experience was kind
> of headed that
> way. Not paid, of course, but a full semester all
> day every day
> working with 3 different math teachers at the
> university lab
> school. The geometry guy had a PhD in math and a
> joint appointment
> with the department of mathematics at the university
> where he also
> taught upper division/graduate mathematics and was
> anxiously awaiting
> each new release from Bourbaki that I had never heard
> of until
> then. No text books; after observing and discussing
> for a while, we
> began to teach. Each day we were to prepare our own
> worksheets for
> the class (with guidance, of course). One of my
> algebra teachers had
> been the math editor for Scott-Foresman. My
> experience was unusual
> enough that replicating it systemically is beyond the
> realm of the
> possible but my preferred approach (first stated)
> would be very workable.
>
> Wayne

So if a new teacher asks you for advice on how to be more successful, you would tell him to not take the job and look for an apprenticeship? Don't you have anything to offer besides that? I don't believe that!

Richard

> At 10:04 AM 7/10/2013, Richard Strausz wrote:
> >Wayne, do you have any suggestions for books, blogs,
> videos and any
> >other materials that would be helpful for a
> beginning math teacher?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Richard

Date Subject Author
6/23/13
Read Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Jerry P. Becker
6/24/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
6/27/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
kirby urner
7/3/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/11/13
[...]
r!chard tchen
7/12/13