Topic: Using Rap to Learn Science
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jul 11, 2013 9:15 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Using Rap to Learn Science

Louis Talman posted Jul 10, 2013 9:36 PM:

> On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 16:07:09 -0600, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> > What would you have a geometry teacher do when
> > facing a student who didn't master completing the
> > square in his past?

> This is a very good question, and our curricula beg
> it.

I would guess (without having looked at your US curricula) that indeed they do beg this important question (as do our curricula in India). Elsewhere in the world, also, the same problem holds.

For instance, quite recently, there was also some heated (on occasion even frenzied) debate in the UK, where the Education Secretary, one Mr Michael Gove, had put up generally well-meaning (but ill-designed) proposals for what he called the "National Curriculum". To the best of my understanding, the UK National Curriculum is just as ineffective today as it ever was.

All of which clearly indicates, to my mind at least, that the underlying problem is something else entirely (see below).
<snip>

> ... the real question is not "What would you
> do...?" but "Why does the system allow this (and
> worse!) to happen?"

Indeed!

As I have come to understand (after several years of sometimes quite frenzied debate here at Math-teach [and elsewhere]), there are some serious issues of effective 'system design' involved - NONE of which is being effectively resolved today, alas.

Perhaps the 'stakeholders' in the education system need to become aware about 'how to design effective systems'?

(The attachments to my post heading the thread "Democracy: how to achieve it?" - http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 - provide some brief description of some tools that can help in this regard).

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
[...]