Topic: Using Rap to Learn Science
Replies: 39   Last Post: Jul 11, 2013 9:15 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Using Rap to Learn Science

Wayne Bishop (responding to Louis Talman) posted Jul 10, 2013 10:40 PM:

> Moreover, "the system" (at least at my institution
> and I suppose
> yours) allows it - even demands it - all the way into
> college. And
> it's damaging to students in the name of trying to
> help them.

<snip>
And the resolution of the problem(s) underlying the situation does NOT lie in "BLOWING UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" as you have suggested, but in **redesigning** your existing ineffective systems (INCLUDING your ineffective schools of education).

Our systems in India are just as ineffective as are yours in the USA (probably more ineffective, in many ways) - and few of the stakeholders in our education system have realized that the underlying problem is in the 'redesign' that I claim is the ONLY way out.

Actually, the simple need underlying the need of 'redesign' is only of a minor change in mindset on the parts of stakeholders. Many of our stakeholders here in India also appear to prefer what they believe are 'radical' means (such as "BLOWING UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION" and the like) - failing to realize that the most radical change possible in the essential 'change in mindset'. The change in mindset has to happen at individual levels in a fair number of individual cases before it can become the needed societal change.

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Date Subject Author
7/5/13
[...]