Topic: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jul 12, 2013 11:58 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers

Richard Strausz posted Jul 11, 2013 5:14 AM (responding to Wayne Bishop's post dt. Jul 11, 2013 4:22 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9165479 ):
> > No, but thanks for asking. What I really believe
<snip>
> So if a new teacher asks you for advice on how to be
> more successful, you would tell him to not take the
> job and look for an apprenticeship? Don't you have
> anything to offer besides that? I don't believe that!

You had better believe it. The advice rendered is that - or "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (after Reid Lyon, [reading research expert] of course).

But there IS a useful lesson to be learned from Professor Bishop's advice, namely: the schools of education should surely include a period of apprenticeship for all prospective teachers who pass through their courses. The 'teacher trainees' could surely do with a bit less of scarcely useful theory and a bit more of very useful practice (apprenticed to a good teacher).

It's a suggestion, derived directly from Professor Bishop's post, that would be most useful for the schools of education (and for those who go through them to become teachers). Do the schools of education already have such a useful apprenticeship period? In India, I believe not. I don't know what the situation is in the USA.

GSC

Date Subject Author
6/23/13
Read Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Jerry P. Becker
6/24/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
6/27/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
kirby urner
7/3/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/11/13
[...]
r!chard tchen
7/12/13