Topic: Module 1's are out!
Replies: 22   Last Post: Jul 30, 2013 6:06 AM

Bolster, Kimberly

Re: Module 1's are out!

I am at the NTI training now receiving training on the module.

The quadratic idea is only introduced as a graphing representation different from linear graphic stories- it's not about graphing or writing a quadratic equation.

However, check out how they emphasize the connection between polynomials and integers using base 10
...end of module assessment task- question 10, page 308.

This proves the shift in instructional delivery that we all will have to accept and find solace in that it will get easier as the students come to us with different foundations rooted in this reasoning/theoretical approach.

Kim Bolster
Assistant Principal
Ballston Spa High School
885-7150 ext. 2355 or 2350

On Jul 11, 2013, at 12:26 PM, "Darrin Paschke" <dpaschke@fcsd.wnyric.org> wrote:

> They say ignorance is bliss. I almost wish I had not seen the module. When you get a chance, read page 20's lesson notes on graphs of quadratic functions (Day 2 of the school year). Now keep in mind the students you are teaching are in ninth grade. I know college physics majors who may struggle with the language of that lesson. I will reserve comment on the rest of the module until I actually read it and watch the videos. I am initially shocked but not surprised that the state would introduce one of five modules today (when most teachers are on summer vacation) and expect a quality program to be taught 8 weeks from now.
>
> I am deeply concerned that the background of students entering ninth grade will not be sufficient to tackle this rigor. Had the students been more deeply developed in this style of learning and critical thinking, I would feel better about their chances. However, some of my colleagues believe that the level of difficulty is not developmentally appropriate, regardless of preparation.
>
> The provided (scripted) lessons are designed to utilize all 45 minutes of a 45 minute class. I saw no place for time to go over homework questions or to do the ordinary business of attendance, etc. Most schools in our area have 40 minute classes (or 80 minute block classes).
>
> Sigh.
> *

This E-mail, its contents and any of its attachments may contain
Ballston Spa School District proprietary information, which is
privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the
Ballston Spa School District. This E-mail is intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action
taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is
E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently
delete the original and any copy of this E-mail as well as any printed
version of the E-mail and its attachments. Thank you.

*