Topic: Equidistance
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jul 13, 2013 12:22 AM

quasi

Re: Equidistance

quasi wrote:
>quasi wrote:
>>quasi wrote:

>>>Presumably you meant compact _metric_ space.
>>>
>>>Still, I don't believe the claim.
>>>
>>>What is your source for the problem?

>>As I suspected, the claim is false.
>>
>>A counterexample can be constructed as follows ...
>>
>>Let t_1,t_2,t_3, ... be a sequence of pairwise distinct positive
>>real numbers such that t_n --> 0 as n --> oo
>>
>>Define two infinite sequences
>>
>> a_1,a_2,a_3, ...
>>
>> b_1,b_2,b_3, ...
>>
>>of points in R^2 by
>>
>> a_n = (t_n,0) for all n in N
>>
>> b_n = (0,2*(t_n)) for all n in N
>>
>>and let S be the subset of R^2 defined by
>>
>> S = A U B U {(0,0)}
>>
>>where A = {a_n | n in N} and B = {b_n | n in N}.
>>
>>Let the distance function d on S be the usual Euclidean distance
>>function on R^2.
>>
>>Then (S,d) is a compact metric space.
>>
>>Finally, define a function f:S -> S by
>>
>> f(a_n) = b_n for all n in N
>>
>> f(b_n) = a_n for all n in N
>>
>> f((0,0)) = (0,0)
>>
>>It's easily seen that the function f:S -> S is continuous.
>>
>>Also, f o f is the identity on S, so f is bijective with
>>f^(-1) = f.
>>
>>It follows that the map f: S -> S is a homeomorphism.
>>
>>Claim there do not exist distinct points p,q in S such that
>>d(f(p),f(q)) = d(p,q).
>>
>>Suppose otherwise. Thus, suppose p,q are distinct points in S
>>such that d(f(p),f(q)) = d(p,q).
>>
>>For convenience, define
>>
>> t_0 = 0
>> a_0 = (0,0)
>> b_0 = (0,0)
>>
>>Consider 3 cases ...
>>
>>Case (1): p,q are both on the nonnegative x-axis (it's possible
>>that one of them is (0,0)).
>>
>>Assume p,q are given by
>>
>> p = a_i
>> q = a_j
>>
>>for some distinct nonnegative integers i,j.
>>
>>Then by definition of f,
>>
>> f(p) = b_i
>> f(q) = b_j
>>
>>But then
>>
>> d(f(p),f(q)) = 2*abs(t_i - t_j)
>>
>>whereas
>>
>> d(p,q) = abs(t_i - t_j)
>>
>>and those distances can't be equal.
>>
>>Case (2): p,q are both on the nonnegative y-axis (it's possible
>>that one of them is (0,0)).
>>
>>Assume p,q are given by
>>
>> p = b_i
>> q = b_j
>>
>>for some distinct nonnegative integers i,j.
>>
>>Then by definition of f,
>>
>> f(p) = a_i
>> f(q) = a_j
>>
>>But then
>>
>> d(f(p),f(q)) = abs(t_i - t_j)
>>
>>whereas
>>
>> d(p,q) = 2*abs(t_i - t_j)
>>
>>and just as in case (1), those distances can't be equal.
>>
>>Case (3): p,q are not on the same axes.
>>
>>Without loss of generality, assume p is on the positive x-axis
>>and q is on the positive y-axis.
>>
>>Assume p,q are given by

> [...]

Well, the most trivial counterexample would be to
let S be a 1-point space.

There no counterexample with S having just 2 points,
but here's a simple 3-point counterexample ...

Let S = {0,1,3} with the usual distance function inherited
from R.

The S is a compact metric space.

Let f:S -> S be defined by

f(0) = 1
f(1) = 3
f(3) = 0

Then the map f:S -> S is a homeomorphism.

But this gives

d(f(0),f(1)) = 2 whereas d(0,1) = 1
d(f(1),f(3)) = 3 whereas d(1,3) = 2
d(f(3),f(0)) = 1 whereas d(3,0) = 3

It follows that there do not exist distinct p,q in S such that

d(f(p),f(q)) = d(p,q)

validating the counterexample.

Similar counterexamples can be found for all positive finite
cardinalities of S except for |S| = 2.

quasi