Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » Education » math-teach

Topic: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jul 12, 2013 11:58 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Robert Hansen

Posts: 7,489
From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Posted: Jul 12, 2013 1:19 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply
att1.html (2.8 K)


On Jul 10, 2013, at 10:32 AM, Richard Strausz <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:

> Do you have any blogs, books or other suggestions for a new teacher? If so, please add them to this section.

A few come to mind (it will take time to sort through the dozens I have come across over the years).

For general mathematics...

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/
http://www.khanacademy.org
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm (simplicity can be a plus)

For AP subjects the AP forums. Particularly the AP math forums.

Wolfram/Alpha for visualization (graphing) and reference.

http://www.wolframalpha.com
http://mathworld.wolfram.com

I don't have any books in mind but it is very important for a teacher to develop their "act". This includes everything from their day to day lesson plans, their presentation skills and the answers they hold ready for every question. This seems to take about 3 to 5 years to establish. When you are established, help the others become established. 75% of your act should be routine. Leave the other 25% open for eventualities[1] and opportunities to excite and inspire. Most importantly, reward your students for their effort and the opportunity they have given you. Well, unless they are brats.:)

Bob Hansen

[1] eventualities: unforeseen events or unexpected (test) results.


Date Subject Author
6/23/13
Read Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Jerry P. Becker
6/24/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
6/27/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
kirby urner
7/3/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/11/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
7/11/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
7/11/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/11/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
r!chard tchen
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
r!chard tchen
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2014. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.