Topic: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jul 12, 2013 11:58 PM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers

First off, I'd check on her knowledge of the appropriate mathematics
at the level she has been hired to teach. As a rough example,
several times over the years as an advisor, I have been asked by
students to waive a calculus prerequisite because of his earlier
calculus experience. May lead question was "What is the derivative
of x squared?" More than once I have gotten a response almost
verbatim as, "Well, I don't remember everything about calculus." End
of conversation.

So if she is completely misplaced but is in charge of the lives of
real people, as too often happens, I would encourage her to resign
ASAP. First things first, you know.

If her mathematics competence is appropriate for her grade level
(very different for 3rd grade versus, say, Algebra 2), I would
encourage her to find someone particularly effective at directly
communicating the mathematics - including the appropriate Khan
Academy lessons - to emulate and, to the extent possible, work
closely with them.

Thanks for asking, have I said why I left teaching high school? I
really liked it (pretty rough Chicago inner-suburb school) and had no
intention of leaving but the NSF bribed me to do it. More money to
go to grad school for an academic year than to teach so I took a year
LOA, later extended to a 2nd year, and eventually resigned.

Wayne

At 06:55 AM 7/12/2013, Richard Strausz wrote:
> > So if a new teacher asks you for advice on how to be
> > more successful, you would tell him to not take the
> > job and look for an apprenticeship? Don't you have
> > anything to offer besides that? I don't believe that!

>Wayne, I won't bug you about this but I am sincerely interested in
>your advice to a new math teacher. You have a wonderful perspective
>as one who taught high school math before becoming a math ed professor.
>
>When a new teacher comes up to you and asks what you would advise,
>what would you tell her?
>
>Richard

Date Subject Author
6/23/13
Read Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Jerry P. Becker
6/24/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
6/27/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
kirby urner
7/3/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/11/13
[...]
r!chard tchen
7/12/13