Topic: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jul 12, 2013 11:58 PM

Richard Strausz

Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers

> First off, I'd check on her knowledge of the
> appropriate mathematics
> at the level she has been hired to teach. As a rough
> example,
> several times over the years as an advisor, I have
> been asked by
> students to waive a calculus prerequisite because of
> his earlier
> calculus experience. May lead question was "What is
> the derivative
> of x squared?" More than once I have gotten a
> response almost
> verbatim as, "Well, I don't remember everything about
> calculus." End
> of conversation.
>
> So if she is completely misplaced but is in charge of
> the lives of
> real people, as too often happens, I would encourage
> her to resign
> ASAP. First things first, you know.
>
> If her mathematics competence is appropriate for her
> grade level
> (very different for 3rd grade versus, say, Algebra
> 2), I would
> encourage her to find someone particularly effective
> at directly
> communicating the mathematics - including the
> appropriate Khan
> Academy lessons - to emulate and, to the extent
> possible, work closely with them.

Your response (thanks, by the way) reminded me of something else. Especially for teachers working in relatively small schools where the number of possible mentors is small, I recommend that they go to conferences put on by local and State math teacher groups. They are places where one can see a number of potential mentors.

Richard

> Thanks for asking, have I said why I left teaching
> high school? I
> really liked it (pretty rough Chicago inner-suburb
> school) and had no
> intention of leaving but the NSF bribed me to do it.
> More money to
> go to grad school for an academic year than to teach
> so I took a year
> LOA, later extended to a 2nd year, and eventually
> resigned.
>
> Wayne
>

> At 06:55 AM 7/12/2013, Richard Strausz wrote:

> > > So if a new teacher asks you for advice on how to
> be
> > > more successful, you would tell him to not take
> the
> > > job and look for an apprenticeship? Don't you
> have
> > > anything to offer besides that? I don't believe
> that!
> >
> >Wayne, I won't bug you about this but I am sincerely

> interested in
> >your advice to a new math teacher. You have a
> wonderful perspective
> >as one who taught high school math before becoming a
> math ed professor.
> >
> >When a new teacher comes up to you and asks what you

> would advise,
> >what would you tell her?
> >
> >Richard

Date Subject Author
6/23/13
Read Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Jerry P. Becker
6/24/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
6/27/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
kirby urner
7/3/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/11/13
[...]
r!chard tchen
7/12/13