Topic: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Replies: 73   Last Post: Jul 26, 2013 6:27 PM

kirby urner

Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
att1.html (2.5 K)

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2013, at 8:05 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The choice of shape was cultural / conventional, not dictated by any
> deities nor by logic, and in fact we may develop a consistent mathematics
> by following this other branch, and in fact we have.
>

> You could have saved yourself a lot of time and just said that what you
> were talking about had nothing whatsoever to do with raising a number to
> the third power. If anything, your act seems designed to obfuscate[1]
> mathematics for children and have them share your angst[2] for the world.
>
> Bob Hansen

What you're saying makes no sense to me. When people say they're raising a
number to the 3rd power they often say "cubed"? Why? We explain why.

But could there be a different shape instead, associated with 3rd powering,
3rd rooting? Sure. And we branch off and explore a network of connected
topics based on that premise.

Now you tell me what I'm talking about has nothing to do with raising a
number to a 3rd power?

You accuse me of obfuscation when it's been precisely about the number
sequence 1, 8, 27, 64.... ?

I don't get what you mean. Your criticism is hard to decipher.

Kirby

> [1] obfuscate: to deliberately confuse and make unclear.
> [2] angst: inability to deal with the human condition.

Message was edited by: kirby urner (typo in 3rd power seq)

Date Subject Author
7/13/13
Read Common Core snippet a little distressing
Peter Duveen
7/13/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/13/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
[...]
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/15/13
Read Re: [Math 2.0] Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Christian Baune
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Wayne Bishop
7/14/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/16/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Robert Hansen
7/17/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/15/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
CCSSIMath
7/16/13
[...]
7/18/13
[...]
7/20/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/19/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/20/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/21/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
Joe Niederberger
7/23/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/24/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
kirby urner
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/25/13
Read Re: Common Core snippet a little distressing
frank zubek
7/26/13