Topic: Matheology � 300
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jul 17, 2013 5:12 PM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology § 300

On Wednesday, 17 July 2013 08:33:12 UTC+2, Virgil wrote:
> In article <d6c67b43-d298-48d9-8755-3403fbf3ef64@googlegroups.com>, mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote: > On Tuesday, 16 July 2013 21:23:32 UTC+2,
>>> Thus WM claims that a non-terminating decimal, such as the one for 1/9, > cannot be distinguished from any of its truncated thus terminating > decimal approximations.

>> It can be distinguished from any of its terminating approximations.

> Then why did WM so often claim otherwise?

I did not, but unfortunately you are unable to distinguish between a finite definition that allows for calculating every finite string of digits and an infinite string of digits (that would be required to distinguish more than countably many strings).

Regards, WM