Topic: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Replies: 33   Last Post: Jul 19, 2013 10:22 PM

Victor Porton

Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize

Dave L. Renfro wrote:

> Arturo Magidin wrote (in part):

> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.math/t6JDaqjaJnE
>

>> The Abel prize has been given to people with a life-time of results
>> that were not only impressive on their own, but that have had
>> a lasting and deep impact on the subject.

> Perhaps it would help to give an example.
>
> Saharon Shelah has not won an Abel prize and he seems to fit the
> above description better than Victor Porton. Let's say I want
> to nominate someone. Why should I nominate Porton instead of Shelah?

For me to receive the prize is more important than for Shelah:

1. I have no scientific degree (for some subtle reasons which I am not going
to explain here I've left study in university not finishing it). A prize
would for me be a pass to academic circles as a replacement for a scientific
degree, so that I would become allowed such things as speaking at scientific
conferences. Shelah on the other hand already has a reputation and does
probably not need to advance it further.

2. I've conducted some excellent research but right now I am stuck not
knowing how to continue it. (Especially, I don't know how to prove the
following important conjecture: the category of (proximally) continuous
functions between endo-funcoids has direct products and moreover is
cartesian closed.) My recognition would welcome other mathematicians to
continue my work which as for now I am unable to continue myself.

3. I need to work as a programmer to have enough money. Prize money would
help me to stop working for a boss and switch to that kinds of work which I
myself consider more important. No such trouble with Shelah.

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org

Date Subject Author
7/15/13
Read Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Balhtam nominates you for the fake Nobel in funconomics
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/16/13
Read Re: Balhtam nominates you for the fake Nobel in funconomics
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/18/13
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/16/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
William Elliot
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
grei
7/17/13
[...]
Read please don't nominate me for TetrahedronometrY; thank YoU
Brian Q. Hutchings
7/17/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Jens Stuckelberger
7/18/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Peter Percival
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
FredJeffries@gmail.com
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
Victor Porton
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
7/19/13
Read Re: Please nominate me for Abel Prize
fom
7/19/13